Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wheaties Got Nothin' on Oz


Good morning, friends! How is your day starting today? Kauai is embracing Tuesday with a lovely, softly sunny, quiet start. There's a hint of coolness in the air from the early-morning rain but if the sky is anything to go by, it'll be hot in a few hours.

Got up early and was so impressed by yesterday's lie-in that I snuggled and stretched and thought early-morning fuzzy thoughts in bed for an hour before I finally set out at six for a run. Last night's impromptu yoga session (in which I finally managed to hold side crow!) left my calves tight and even a hot bath with essential oils before bed didn't seem to help. They were protesting for the first half mile and then... ahhhh, they released. It was the coolest thing, that sudden give in muscle tension and it cheered me up enough to take the long route which winds alongside the main road (which is blessedly unpopulated that early during the surf off-season) and gives a stunning cliff-top view of Hideaways, one of the prettiest, most secret beaches on the North Shore (and one of the best surf spots.) Gorgeous!

As I rounded the bend onto my street, my usual view of the soaring mountains was made even more beautiful by a bright rainbow arching from the valley up into the mists. Such a breathtaking way to start the day.

Something I Am Grateful For On This Tuesday: My shower.




When we redid the master bathroom last year, the one thing I insisted on was a whirlpool tub. The one thing my ex insisted on was a high-pressure open shower with steam jets. His choice was by far the better one - the tub gets used maybe once every couple of months but this baby is my best friend. Thank goodness we got all the material at cost and the labour for free (three cheers for surfer SO's who do eco contracting on the side!)

Such an ambitious morning called for a special breakfast. Apparently special in this house means massive because what started out as 'hey, eggs sound good' turned into 'lets see how much food can fit on this plate'.



An egg-white mmomelette (egg whites, mushrooms, mozarella) topped with hot chili sauce, toasted almond meal muffin with Earth Balance spread and fresh ground peanut butter, and another massive bowl of fruit (cantaloupe, cherries, peach, apples, strawberries, honeydew) topped with organic Australian-style goats milk yogurt and cinny-mon. I'm not sure what makes the yogurt Australian-style; the texture isn't especially thick or creamy, it's essentially like any other yogurt, and it doesn't taste any different. Maybe the goats bleat out "g'day" when they're being milked?

This was definitely case of my eyes being bigger than my tummy; I got through all of the fruit and the almond muffin but only managed about half of the omelette. I guess breakfast tomorrow will be easy! Leftovers are awesome.

What's your favourite way to start the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment