Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Iron Ahoy!

Well, yesterday's prediction for sun, sun, sun was a complete wash out! Good thing I don't work for Channel 6 News or there'd have been a lot of very angry tourists stuck at the stormy beaches!



The pretty morning gave way to grey, forlorn skies and an icky cold rain. The old man was snoring for the rest of the day, too. Bummer. =(

My good friend P is expecting her second baby in the winter and she's in that annoying phase of pregnancy where nothing is working and you're too tired to do anything about it. The blustery day gave me a great opportunity to help her out. Her iron levels have been too low and the only food she's actually got any desire to eat right now is eggs. Time for quiche!



The Great Eggsteak

Starring: Strip Steak McQueen & Cheddar Garnish

Crust:

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup safflower/olive oil
1/2 cup ice water

In a mixing bowl, blend flour and salt. Stir water and oil together briefly to thicken and then add to the flour mixture. Blend into a dough and press into a 9' pie pan.

Filling:

5-6 eggs
milk (cows, goats, soy, almond)
1 cooked strip steak, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
scallions, thinly sliced
shredded cheddar cheese
feta cheese
ground pepper and salt to taste
basil and thyme to taste

Whip eggs and milk together with seasoning until frothy. Pour into crust. Distribute steak and cheese evenly throughout.

Bake at 400F until top is golden brown and bubbly and filling is firm.



These were a big hit! I made them in muffin tins rather than a big dish to make individual, fun-sized quiche for easy access (also made it a neat treat for her young daughter who thought the 'baby pies' were adorable.)

Behold, my army of quiche!



There's something so nice about baking something hot on a cold, miserable day. I was still stuffed from my massive breakfast (and didn't even touch my nommy salad and apple until almost three o'clock!) so after dropping brunch off at P's house, I came home and curled up with a mug of tea and a good book. Love it!

Today I Am Grateful For: My green Crocs.



I know, I know. Crocs are probably the least fashionable strips of styrofoam out there but they are also the most comfortable garden shoes
ever and they are green and I love them. <3>

Breakfast this morning was simple and easy. Big bowl of fruit and one and a half cups of Mean Green. Today's version had spinach, broccoli, celery, Greens 8000, flax seed, chia seed, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, marionberries, strawberries, apple, almond butter, and soy milk. Yummo.



There's leftover omelette for lunch, which I'll bulk up with some veggies and soy yogurt. As for now, there's a mug of coffee calling my name!

What's your favourite way to spend a rainy day?

Adios!

P.S

Oh, I almost forgot. In an attempt to win the most-random-gift-ever award, my neighbor came over this morning to give me this:



We don't have a wasp problem so I'm wondering if maybe he's got me confused with someone else, but it was a nice gesture, I guess? Haha, I'll have to bake him some cookies or something - maybe honey crisp wafers in the shape of little hornets. ^_^








No comments:

Post a Comment