Friday, July 9, 2010

Puppies & Chillun'

Hello my darlings! How are you all doing? I hope you had a good day today - we certainly had fun!



It seems there's a budding author in our family. Back in January this guy wrote a story for a contest at school: 



Well, he received a notice in the mail saying that he'd won first place and that he was to be presented with an award (a certificate and a gift card for the local organic ice cream shoppe) at the end-of-year summer ceremony. Good job, Andy!

We packed breakfast-to-go (egg white omelettes with mushroom, mozzarella, onion and scallions with a side of peaches, watermelon, and cantaloupe):



And then we picked up these guys:



And then we were off to the ceremony. It was held outside and was really adorable. Each of the prizewinners read their short story and then when everyone was done the awards were handed out. Even with the readings it didn't last long - which was nice because it was a scorcher today! Hello Mr. Sun!

Afterwards we stopped at the playground and snacked on some green beans and cherries: 




Caleb is a big fan of cherries, it seems. He couldn't get enough!



A quick stop at Foodland for celebratory Gatorade, Maui chips, and an alien ray-gun. I nipped into the health shop next door and grabbed some treats pour moi: 



HAZELNUTS. Oh my goodness, I am so excited about finding hazelnuts here. I've been keeping an eye out for them for ages, to no avail, and was getting to the point where I was ready to order a case online and just eat the shipping costs. Can't wait to use these bad boys - I foresee homemade Nutella in our future. Drooooool.

Lunch was leftover salad from the Fourth of July, celery sticks, and a big bowl of fruit. I love summer so much!



With all the rushing around this morning I hadn't had time to workout so I fit in a quick 30-minute Pilates session and then crashed for a nap. I've been so, so, so tired lately and nodding off in the afternoon for about twenty minutes seems to keep me going until bedtime - any longer than that, though, and I'm a complete foggy-headed zombie. Internal clocks are tricky things. 

Snacktime brought cottage cheese with kalamata olives and apple wedges with cinnamon:



And a cup of one of my favourite teas, Good Earth's Mate & Citrus:



There's nothing like a cuppa in the aftie, especially if you can enjoy it slowly with a good book. 



Dinner is sitting on the table waiting for me  as I type - a quick stir-fry with curly kale, collard greens, vidalia onion, tomatoes, herbs, and tempeh. It smells amazing. Funny how the simple things are the tastiest, hey? I don't want to keep everyone waiting (or my stomach, which is totally roaring for food despite the hefty menu today) but I just have to introduce the latest member of our family:



This is Phoebe. She is the size of my shoe. Someone threw her out a car window. Thankfully our neighbors rescued her and brought her over and she didn't suffer any major physical harm, though she's still really timid. She's being absolutely spoiled with toys (which she doesn't show much interest in yet) and treats (which she most definitely does.) I'm not even a fan of tiny dogs but she's so cute and sweet that you can't help but love her. So welcome home, Phoebe!

And now, we sup!







No comments:

Post a Comment