Monday, July 5, 2010

Equipoise

After a few days of indulging, I totally needed to take yesterday to get back to my routine and regain my footing. It was early to bed, early to rise and straight to some HIIT as the sun crept into the sky. Have I mentioned how much I hate high-intensity interval training? I really, really do. Doing a 3-2-1 cycle (3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, 1 minute of abs) and alternating between 8-lb and 5-lb weights, I worked all the major muscle groups for a grueling half hour before I stopped and switched to yoga. Did ten minutes of morning poses to wake up and then ten minutes of challenging strength and balance poses before hitting the shower. Even though I hated it while I was doing it, I was really proud that I made it through instead of just rolling over in bed when the alarm clock went off (and ohhh was it tempting.) There's nothing quite like starting off your day with some exercise. It makes such a difference in energy and outlook.

Today I was meant to be going for a nice long run but I woke up late and there was so much to do that I'm giving it a lick-and-promise. Hopefully I'll be able to fit some more working out in later - I've already decided to walk into town to do my errands so worst case scenario, at least I'll have that under my belt.

Lately I've really been digging on the eggs for breakfast. Yesterday I ate a simple spread of scrambled egg whites with guacamole, non-fat cottage cheese, a couple of cherries and tea:


Now, I'm not one of those people who actually like cottage cheese straight from the carton. Apparently I used to gobble it up as a youngster but once I hit the school years the texture totally turned me off. In the great trend of palate cycling though, I've slowly learned to appreciate it as I get older. Not enough so that I can just grab a spoon and tuck in, but I actually will eat it now with a few add ins. Yesterday was a sweet day.

Doctored Cottage Cheese

1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese

1 tsp almond butter

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp stevia

pinch of salt (unless you get the kind of cottage cheese with salt in)

Mix all ingredients together. Eat and enjoy.




Today was a delicious omelette noir (which is to say, I burned my eggs. See, it really is true - everything sounds better in French.) It had egg whites, onion, tomato, broccoli, salmon, cottage cheese, and gorgonzola in it. With that I had a side of cantaloupe and watermelon. So colourful!





Yesterday there were also more Adventures in Baking, but I'll have to save that for tonight's post because I've got to skedaddle! Before I go though, I just have to show off my project. I've been trying to organize all the toys in the house (oy) so that they're accessible and tidy and I finally finished. Voila:






There's a viking on that biplane!

Baking and organizing? It was like Martha Stewart possessed me. It was so awesome.


And now it's time to go, armed with my lunch (Annie's dressings are so tasty - this Tuscan Italian has such a deep tomato-and-basil flavour), a salad of lettuce, broccoli, green beans, cucumber, tomato and crumbled tempeh:



See you later!

Today I am grateful for: Cats. They know how to live. It's amazing that these furry individuals trust us to take care of them and how they form such vibrant relationships with us.









No comments:

Post a Comment