Wednesday, February 17, 2010

the saga begins

And so it has begun.

What, you ask? The season of Lent. Wikipedia tells me that Lent is traditionally 'the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Ressurection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Ressurection of Jesus Christ.

Now I am not a religious person, nor have I ever observed Lent before. And so my journey over the next forty days is not traditional in the sense that it is not a reflection of my faith but rather a personal challenge to rise to. A fellow foodie friend of mine (he's over here) was the one who turned me on to this idea. Last year he gave up meat for Lent and went vegetarian - this year he's upping the ante and I'm tagging along.

Today was day number one.

I have to admit, it kind of snuck up on me in the chaotic whirlwind of putting the house on the market, beginning to pack up to move to the new place, working, shuffling the kids to and fro and all the other daily minutiae that snatches away time. Despite having begun planning last month, I somehow got sidetracked and so today was one of those fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, hang-on-tight, whoa-Bessie wing it days.

Breakfast was, as I predicted, the hardest for me. It's not habit for me yet to eat breakfast on a regular basis and without my fallback of scrambled eggs, I grappled for a good fifteen minutes in front of the fridge (granted my decision-making skills were next to nil, running on no coffee and with a three year old dangling from my hip while I tried to shove a pair of pantyhose on without making them run.)

Thankfully at the last minute I remembered my Gran's go-to road brekkie, Mealie Flats, and spread hummus over that.


Granny Bev's Mealie Flats

1 c. grains of your choice (like oatmeal, cornmeal, etc; I used a combination of steel cut oats and quinoa)
1 c. boiling water
1/4 (or to taste) agave nectar
1 packet yeast
1/4 c. olive/safflower oil
1 c. seeds & nuts of your choice (I used sesame and flax)
whole wheat flour, amount varies

Pour the boiling water over your grains and let it sit about ten minutes, or until it's cool enough to add your agave (the actual recipe calls for honey but that's a no-no right now) and the yeast. Let it sit until all the yeast is bubbled nicely. Add safflower oil (or olive, whatever), a cup of nuts and seeds, and then slowly add in enough whole wheat flour to bring it to a bread dough consistency. Cover and let it rise for an hour. When it's ready, roll out small rounds with your hands and cook in a pan on the stovetop with a little bit of oil (just enough to keep them from sticking).







Let me just say that I am supremely grateful that coffee is vegan. I usually drink mine black but lately have taken to having it with a little honey and goat milk, a combination my friend Amar introduced to me. It's still delicious and delightful on it's own though and it was most definitely needed!








Work was ridiculously hectic and the morning flew by. I'm very fortunate to live in a place in which vegan and vegetarian eating is incredibly common and have several restaurants catering specifically to such diets right near the vet clinic.


I did not eat at any of them, however.

Instead, I had made lunch early this morning and packed it away. It's almost like I'm becoming responsible or something! It wasn't fancy - a baked sweet potato stuffed with kale and onion that I sauteed in olive oil with a little turmeric, garlic powder, pepper and sea salt, and then black beans. It was delicious and, most importantly,
warm which was so welcome on this cold and blustery winter day!







This was so incredibly filling! Lunch is at eleven-thirty during the work day and this took me all the way until quittin' time at four, when I munched on an apple pear with cinnamon whilst driving home.



Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of dinner but it was pretty simple. Arugula, kale and tomato with sesame-shitake dressing and some chamomile tea.

All in all this was a satisfying day and I'm looking forward to the 39 to come!

Much love,

Diz








No comments:

Post a Comment