Saturday, January 30, 2010

so-ba good, bru


It rained all through the night without letup and continued today, alternating between a gentle mist and bullet-like sheets that left our yard looking like a map of the Great Lakes. It makes everything slower and the inclination to be lazy is multiplied exponentially. I'm a firm believer that rain is like Dementors, in that it sucks your vital force out of you until you have no energy left. Even doing routine chores when the world outside is a mural of muted greys and blues requires a lot of metal self-motivation. 

That being said, this is going to be short. I'm exhausted, and can't quite figure out what to say, except that if you have this: 



(plus rice wine vinegar and ginger that I forgot to put out until I was already cooking and couldn't be bothered to snap a photo of ^_^;), then you can make this:



You might recognize those oyster mushrooms from yesterday's farmers market post. I wanted to use them up when their flavour was peaking, and a quick soba noodle dish was the perfect canvas for these beauties to shine atop. Onions were sliced thinly and sautéed at a low heat in some olive oil until they started to caramelize and then in went garlic and ginger for a few minutes before I popped the cleaned and sliced mushrooms in. They cook down really quickly and when they were about halfway there, I threw in the snap peas and a couple of teaspoons of tamari and let it all twine together in the pan. The soba noodles were boiling beside them and once they were drained and rinsed, I poured a couple of tablespoons of red wine vinegar (it would be better with rice wine, but I was all out, sadly) over top and added one bunch of chopped fresh lemongrass. The mushroom mixture was done by then and so I poured that from the pan to the dish and mixed it up. Voila! 





I garnished mine with scallions, but for my significant other I marinated thinly sliced steak in Worcestershire and pan-seared it. 

We followed dinner with a simple baked-apple dessert. A couple of honeycrisp apples, cored and filled with soaked raisins, crushed pecans, cinnamon and maple syrup, and popped in the microwave for six minutes each. 





An absolutely delicious dinner on a cold and unwelcoming evening. Now it's time for tea and bed!


Sleep sweetly,


Diz

No comments:

Post a Comment